Garibaldi Monument in Taganrog
|Памятник Джузеппе Гарибальди
The Garibaldi Monument, Sept.12, 2007
|Location||Portovaya Street, Taganrog|
|Opening date||June 2, 1961|
|Dedicated to||Giuseppe Garibaldi|
In the first half of 19th century Taganrog was one of the largest ports in Russia. Hundreds of ships from European ports came into the haven. Merchants and seafarers from Liverpool, Bristol, Lisbon, Marseille, Genoa, Livorno and other seaports worldwide knew the name of the city of Taganrog.
Visits of Giuseppe Garibaldi to Taganrog
Giuseppe Garibaldi came from a sailor’s family and he was reared to a life on the sea. After becoming a merchant marine captain in 1832, he visited many ports and he frequently harbored his schooner Clorinda in the city of Taganrog. There are even records that he was fined here for smuggling contraband cigars. A special day for Garibaldi came on a visit to Taganrog in April 1833, as his schooner charged with a shipment of oranges was moored for ten days in the Taganrog seaport. While the ship was unloading, the young captain walked through the streets of the city, visiting the houses of Italians who lived in Taganrog, and spending the night in little port inns. In one of such inns, he met Giovanni Battista Cuneo from Oneglia, a political immigrant from Italy and member of the secret movement Young Italy (La Giovine Italia). Later, Garibaldi described this meeting in the following way: “In all circumstances of my life I continued consulting people and books on the revival of Italy, but until 24 years of old, these efforts were in vain. Finally in Taganrog I met a Ligurian who was the one to reveal me the real state of things in this country. I guess Columbus never felt so happy discovering America, as I felt there among the people who dedicated their lives to liberation of their Homeland.” In Taganrog, Giuseppe Garibaldi joined the society “Young Italy” and took an oath of dedicating his life to struggle for liberation of his Homeland from Austrian dominance.
History of the Monument
In 1961 Taganrog paid the tribute to the staying of Garibaldi with one of the downtown streets named after him (Ulitsa Garibaldi), and with an obelisk in honor of Garibaldi not far from the seaport where stood his schooner Clorinda.
The obelisk is a 5-meter high stella representing the flying banner. The description on the backside reads: In 1833, Giuseppe Garibaldi took an oath of dedicating his life to liberation and unification of his Homeland – Italy. Under leadership of the national hero Giuseppe Garibaldi, the country was liberated and unified. On the front side, it says:
The obelisk in honor of Garibaldi’s visit to Taganrog was inaugurated on June 2, 1961 for the centenary of Italy’s liberation. The local artist Yakovenko realized the project of the monument. The bas-relief (Italian hero’s profile and a palm branch) was produced by the artist Baranov. In 1986, the bas-relief was replaced due to technical reasons and a new bas-relief by the artist Beglov was installed.
The photograph of the Taganrog's Giuseppe Garibaldi monument was displayed at the exhibition "Hero of Two Worlds: Monuments to Garibaldi Across the World" that opened at the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum in New York City on July 21, 2007.
September 12, 2007, a new renovated Giuseppe Garibaldi monument was unveiled during celebrations of the "City Day" and within the program of the events dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi bicentenary in Taganrog. Annita Garibaldi-Jallet, granddaughter of the Italian revolutionary and representatives of the Italian embassy in Moscow participated in the event. The quotation from Friedrich Engels was removed from the front side, the description on the back side remained unchanged.
Old and Modern Views of the Garibaldi Monument in Taganrog
Garibaldi Taganrog Plaque 1.jpg
Memorial plaque on the backside of the Giuseppe Garibaldi's monument, featuring a quotation from Friedrich Engels (in 2007)
Garibaldi Taganrog Plaque2.jpg
Memorial plaque on Garibaldi monument in Taganrog. Removed in 2008 during the reconstruction of the monument. Photograph taken in 2007.
The Garibaldi Monument in 2008.
- Решение №109 Таганрогского городского Совета депутатов трудящихся Ростовской области. 18 мая 1961 г. "О дополнительных мероприятиях по увековечиванию памяти национального героя Италии, выдающегося революционера Джузеппе Гарибальди"
- "Taganrog's Giuseppe Garibaldi monument at New York photo exhibition". Taganrog Municipality. 15 August 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Program of the events dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi bicentenary in Taganrog, September 12, 2007". Taganrog Municipality. 4 August 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Photos from the inauguration of the new Giuseppe Garibaldi Monument". Taganrog Municipality. 12 September 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The Taganrog Encyclopaedia, 2nd edition, 2003
- materials of the Taganrog State Archive and Taganrog Local Government
- "Таганрогская Правда" №22 (153-155) 2-8/06/2006 г. стр.14 "Историческая встреча"
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.