Gil Fronsdal (born 1954) has been a practicing Buddhist of the Sōtō Zen and Vipassanā sects since 1975, and is currently teaching the practice of Buddhism in the San Francisco Bay Area. Having been taught by the Vipassanā practitioner Jack Kornfield, Fronsdal is part of the Vipassanā teachers' collective at Spirit Rock Meditation Center. He was ordained as a Sōtō Zen priest at the San Francisco Zen Center in 1982, and was a Theravāda monk in Burma in 1985. In 1995, he received Dharma transmission from Mel Weitsman, the abbot of the Berkeley Zen Center.
He is the guiding teacher of the Insight Meditation Center (IMC) of Redwood City, California. He has a PhD in Buddhist Studies from Stanford University. His many dharma talks available on line contain basic information on meditation and Buddhism, as well as subtle concepts of Buddhism explained at the level of the lay person.
- Fronsdal, Gil (2010). "A Monastery Within: Tales from the Buddhist Path," Tranquil Books. ISBN 0-9845092-1-6.
- Fronsdal, Gil, and Jack Kornfield (foreword) (2005). The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations, Boston: Shambhala. ISBN 1-59030-211-7.
- Fronsdal, Gil (2002) "Virtues without Rules", in C.S. Prebish & Martin Baumann (2002), "Westward Dharma: Buddhism Beyond Asia", University of California Press, Berkeley & Los Angeles, CA.
- Fronsdal, Gil (2001) "The Issue at Hand", Essays on Buddhist Mindfulness Practice. Available on line.
- Fronsdal, Gil (1998). "Insight Meditation in the United States: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", in C.S. Prebish & K.K. Tanaka (1998), The Faces of Buddhism in America, University of California Press. Also available on line.
- Fronsdal, Egil (1998) "The dawn of the bodhisattva path: Studies in a religious ideal of ancient Indian Buddhists with particular emphasis on the earliest extant Perfection of Wisdom Sūtra", Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University, CA. Abstract available on line.
- Spirit Rock Teaching Collective; Gil Fronsdal with Nancy Van House (eds.) (1996). Voices from Spirit Rock: Talks on Mindfulness Practice, Rancho Cordova, CA: Clear & Present Graphics.
- Kornfield, Jack with Gil Fronsdal (eds.) (1996). Teachings of the Buddha, Boston: Shambhala. ISBN 1-57062-124-1.