This article does not cite any sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Gordey Ivanovich Levchenko|
February 1, 1897|
Dubrovka, Zhitomir Oblast Ukraine
|Died||June 9, 1981
|Allegiance|| Russian Empire
|Service/branch|| Imperial Russian Navy
|Years of service||1913-1960|
|Commands held||Baltic Fleet|
|Battles/wars||World War I, Russian Civil War, World War II|
|Awards||Order of Lenin (three times)
Order of the Red Banner (four times)
Order of Ushakov (twice)
Order of the Red Star
Born at Dubrovka, Ukraine, a part of the Russian Empire, in 1897, Levchenko joined the Imperial Russian Navy in 1913 and participated in World War I. During the revolutionary events of 1917 he took part in the assault of the Winter Palace, commanded the cruiser Aurora.
Levchenko became a member of the Bolshevik Party in 1919. During the Civil War he participated in suppressing the mutinies at the Krasnaya Gorka fort and the Kronstadt Rebellion. He was promoted to command the Aurora in 1922, and held command of the Caspian Flotilla in 1932 - 1933. From 1933 he commanded the battleship division of the Baltic Fleet and the destroyer squadron of the Black Sea Fleet. He was arrested during a purge in late 1941 and sentenced to 10 years, but released in January 1942 and re-instated. Levchenko participated in battles of Odessa, Nikolayev and Sevastopol during World War II. From late 1942 to 1944 he was base commander in Leningrad and helped supply the city during the siege.
Levchenko retired in September 1960. His memoir «Годы огневые» (The Fiery Years) appeared in the same year.
Honours and awards
- Three Orders of Lenin
- Order of the Red Banner, four times
- Order of Ushakov, 1st class, twice
- Order of the Red Star, twice
- Jubilee Medal "In Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary since the Birth of Vladimir Il'ich Lenin"
- Medal "For the Defence of Leningrad"
- Medal "For the Defence of Odessa"
- Medal "For the Defence of Sevastopol"
- Medal "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945"
- Jubilee Medal "Twenty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "Thirty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "XX Years of the Workers' and Peasants' Red Army"
- Jubilee Medal "30 Years of the Soviet Army and Navy"
- Jubilee Medal "40 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "50 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "60 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
An Udaloy class destroyer, Admiral Levchenko, is named after Gordey Ivanovich Levchenko.