|Graeme (John) Davies|
|Born||7 April 1937
|Fields||Materials engineering, Metallurgy|
|Institutions||University of Liverpool,
University of Glasgow,
University of London
|Alma mater||University of Auckland
St Catharine's College, Cambridge
|Known for||his pioneering work merging the polytechnic and university sectors in the United Kingdom and establishing the Higher Education Funding Council for England, and for his leadership of the leading universities of Liverpool, Glasgow and London.|
Sir Graeme (John) Davies, FREng, FRSNZ, FRSE (born 7 April 1937) is a New Zealand engineer, academic and administrator. He is a former Vice-Chancellor of three universities: the University of Liverpool, the University of Glasgow and the University of London.
He is the son of Harry John Davies and Gladys Edna Davies (née Pratt). He was born in New Zealand and attended Mount Albert Grammar School in Auckland. He later attended the University of Auckland when he obtained a BE in Aeronautical Engineering and PhD in Materials Science. He then attended St Catharine's College, Cambridge obtaining an MA and ScD.
He has served as Chief Executive of the Universities Funding Council (UFC), and also of the Polytechnic and Colleges Funding Council (PCFC), and then of their successor, the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).
He is currently the Emeritus Vice Chancellor of the University of London. He is also the Chairman of the British University of Vietnam, the Foundation for Liver Research, and the NZ-UK Link Foundation, Governor of the University of Lincoln, the University of Hertfordshire, the University of Seychelles, Taylor's University, the British Institute of Technology & E-Commerice, and the Public Interest Body of Pricewaterhouse Coopers.
In 1959, he married Florence Isabelle Martin (who died in June 2014) and they had one son, Michael Allan Martin Davies, and one daughter, Helena Anne Davies. He was knighted in 1996.
He is a World Class New Zealander, unusually along with his son.
- Solidification and Casting (1973)
- Texture and the Properties of Materials (co-ed, 1976)
- Solidificacao e Fundicao das Metals e Suas Ligas (jtly, 1978)
- Hot Working and Forming Processes (co-ed, 1980)
- Superplasticity (jtly, 1981)
- Essential Metallurgy for Engineers (jtly, 1985)
- Herding Cats (jtly, 2010)
- UK Centre for Materials Education: Interview with Professor Sir Graeme Davies
- List of Vice-Chancellors of the University of London
- "List of Fellows".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "DAVIES, Sir Graeme (John)", Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012, retrieved 20 June 2013<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
Professor Robert Whelan
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Liverpool
Professor Philip Love
Sir William Kerr Fraser
|Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow
Sir Muir Russell
Professor Graham J Zellick CBE
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of London
2003 – 2010
Professor Geoffrey Crossick