Hans von Keudell
|Hans von Keudell|
|Born||5 April 1892|
|Died||15 February 1917
|Unit||Kaiser Alexander II von Russland Uhlan Regiment#3, FEA 2, BAO/Kagohl 1, KEK B, Jasta 1|
|Commands held||Jasta 27|
|Awards||Royal House Order of Hohenzollern|
Early life and service
Keudell was educated in Berlin. In 1904, he joined the cadets at Bensberg. In 1911, he joined the Uhlans. He began World War I with the Uhlans, and went into combat with them in both France and Poland. He was commissioned by April 1915, transferred to aviation and began training on 7 June. On 13 December, he was posted to fly bombing missions, objectives Verdun, Toul, and Dunkirk, for Brieftauben Abteilung Ostende.
Service as a fighter pilot
By early summer of 1916, Keudell was training as a fighter pilot. On 4 August, he joined KEK B under the command of Hans Bethge. From there, on 22 August, Keudell became a founding member of Jasta 1, destined to fly successively a Fokker D.I, a Halberstadt D.III and an Albatros D.III for them. On 31 August 1916, he shot down a Martinsyde Elephant for his first win. He then scored steadily through the rest of the year, reaching ten on 22 November.
1 January 1917 saw Keudell awarded the Knight's Cross with Swords of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern. He shot down his eleventh victim on 24 January 1917. On 5 February, he was appointed to raise and command Jasta 27. He then scored the brand new jasta's first victory on 15 February, only to be in turn killed in action flying Albatros D III #2017/17 by Lt. Stuart Harvey Pratt, flying a Nieuport two-seater of No. 46 Squadron RFC (his first claim of 7).
Sources of information
- Above the Lines: The Aces and Fighter Units of the German Air Service, Naval Air Service and Flanders Marine Corps 1914 - 1918. p. 141.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/keudell.php Retrieved on 17 April 2010.
- Early German Aces of World War I. p. 72.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/pratt2.php Retrieved on 17 April 2010.
- Above the Lines: The Aces and Fighter Units of the German Air Service, Naval Air Service and Flanders Marine Corps 1914 - 1918 Norman L. R. Franks, et al. Grub Street, 1993. ISBN 0-948817-73-9, ISBN 978-0-948817-73-1.
- Early German Aces of World War I. Greg VanWyngarden, Harry Dempsey. Osprey Publishing, 2006. ISBN 1-84176-997-5, ISBN 978-1-84176-997-4.