Hennadiy Valentynovych Avdyeyenko (Ukrainian: Геннадій Валентинович Авдєєнко) (born November 4, 1963 in Odessa) is a retired high jumper who represented the USSR and later Ukraine. He trained at the Armed Forces sports society in Odessa. He won gold medals at both the Olympics and the World Championships.
Avdyeyenko entered the 1983 World Championships as an unknown. His personal best was only 2.25 m and he had placed 6th at the main tryout meeting, the 1983 Spartakiad; however, high jump coach Kęstutis Šapka and team coach Igor Ter-Ovanesyan lobbied to have him included in the team. In the World Championship final, up against thirteen athletes with bests of 2.30 m or better, Avdyeyenko improved his personal best by 7 centimetres to win an unexpected gold medal, beating the United States' Tyke Peacock on countback.
Avdyeyenko placed second at the 1987 World Indoor Championships in Indianapolis, jumping a new personal best (and Soviet indoor record) of 2.38 m but losing to teammate Igor Paklin in a jump-off. He won another silver medal at the outdoor championships that year, again jumping 2.38 m and tying with Paklin; this time the tie didn't have to be broken, as Patrik Sjöberg won on countback and the gold medal was thus not at stake.
Avdyeyenko then won another gold at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, in the absence of Cuba's world record holder Javier Sotomayor, whose country boycotted the Olympics. He jumped 2.38 m yet again, and this time he was the only jumper to clear that height.
|1983||World Championships||Helsinki, Finland||1st||2.32 PB|
|1987||European Indoor Championships||Liévin, France||3rd|
|World Indoor Championships||Indianapolis, United States||2nd|
|World Championships||Rome, Italy||2nd||2.38 PB|
|1988||Summer Olympics||Seoul, South Korea||1st||2.38 equal PB|
- (Russian) Great Olympic Encyclopedia, vol.1-2, Moscow:Olympia Press Publisher, 2006, entry on "Авдеенко", available online
- Pekola, Tapio; et al. (1983). Yleisurheilun MM-kisakirja Helsinki '83 (in Finnish). Juoksija. ISBN 951-9465-05-7. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
|publisher=(help)CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Butler, Mark (2008), IAAF Statistics Handbook Valencia 2008, IAAF<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "High Jump Result - 1st IAAF World Indoor Championships". IAAF. Retrieved May 25, 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Butler, Mark; IAAF Media & Public Relations Department (2011), IAAF Statistics Handbook Daegu 2011, IAAFCS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Athletics at the 1988 Seoul Summer Games: Men's High Jump". Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved May 25, 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>