Jay Frank Rosenberg (April 18, 1942 in Chicago IL – February 21, 2008 in Chapel Hill NC) was a Professor of Philosophy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He was a student of Wilfrid Sellars and established his reputation with ten books and over 80 articles in metaphysics, epistemology, the philosophy of language, and the history of philosophy (especially Kant). His most commercially successful work, The Practice of Philosophy: A Handbook for Beginners, is a standard text in introductory philosophy courses, and has been translated into German.
Rosenberg's first publication, The Impoverished Students' Book of Cookery, Drinkery, and Housekeepery!, written while an undergraduate at Reed College, has since been republished and is available from the Reed College bookstore. Also while at Reed, Rosenberg was a keen observer and commenter of the tabletop game Empire, though he never played.
- Readings in the Philosophy of Language, co-edited with Charles Travis; Prentice-Hall, Inc.; Englewood Cliffs, NJ; 1971.
- Linguistic Representation, D. Reidel Publishing Co.; Dordrecht, Holland; 1974.
- Pallas Paperback edition, 1978; · Second edition, 1981.
- The Practice of Philosophy, Prentice-Hall, Inc.; Englewood Cliffs, NJ; 1978
- Second edition, revised and enlarged, 1984.
- Third edition, newly revised and enlarged, Prentice-Hall, Inc.; Upper Saddle River, NJ; 1996.
- One World and Our Knowledge of It, D. Reidel Publishing Co.; Dordrecht, Holland; 1980.
- Thinking Clearly About Death, Prentice-Hall, Inc.; Englewood Cliffs, NJ.; 1983.
- Second edition, revised and enlarged; Hackett Publishing Co.; Indianapolis, IN, and Cambridge, MA; 1998.
- The Thinking Self, Temple University Press; Philadelphia, PA; 1986.
- Beyond Formalism: Naming and Necessity for Human Beings, Temple University Press; Philadelphia, PA; 1994
- Three Conversations About Knowing, Hackett Publishing Co.; Indianapolis, IN, and Cambridge, MA; 2000
- Thinking About Knowing, Oxford University Press; Oxford; 2002
- Accessing Kant, Oxford University Press; Oxford: 2005
- Wilfrid Sellars: Fusing the Images, Oxford University Press; Oxford: 2007
- http://philosophy.unc.edu/rberg.htm (Homepage at UNC)[dead link]
- http://www.unc.edu/~jfr (Personal Homepage)[dead link]
- http://www.unc.edu/%7Ejfr/CV4Web-070324.htm (CV)[dead link]