|Lev Nikolaevich Orekhov|
|Born||November 8, 1913
Tula, Russian Empire
|Died||November 6, 1992
Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation
|Education||Repin Institute of Arts|
|Known for||Painting, Graphics|
Lev Nikolaevich Orekhov (Russian: Ле́в Никола́евич Оре́хов; November 8, 1913, city of Tula, Moscow Region of the Russian Empire – November 6, 1992, Saint Petersburg, Russia) was a Russian Soviet painter, who lived and worked in Leningrad. He was regarded as one of representatives of the Leningrad school of painting.
In 1932, Orekhov entered at the first course of the painting department of the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture. There he studied under Boris Fogel, Semion Abugov, Genrikh Pavlovsky.
In 1939, Lev Orekhov graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture in Alexander Osmerkin workshop. His graduation work was a genre painting named "A Rest of collective farmers in haymaking time during the lunch break".
Since 1939 Lev Orekhov has participated in Art Exhibitions. He painted portraits, landscapes, still-life, genre scenes, and sketches from the life. In 1950s he was most famous for his Crimea etudes done from nature, later for summer landscapes and genre scenes from the Russian countryside life.
In the 1950s Lev Orekhov painted plein air, with special attention to lighting and tonal relationships. He painted with an accented stroke. In the 1960s his style morphed towards more decorative and graphic quality of painting. His drawing and composition become more abstract.
Since 1946, Lev Orekhov was a member of the Leningrad Union of Soviet Artists. He died on November 6, 1992 in Saint Petersburg. His paintings reside in Art museums and private collections in Russia, France, England, in the U.S., Italy, and other countries.
- Leningrad School of Painting
- List of painters of Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- List of the Russian Landscape painters
- Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School.- Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp.9, 27, 233, 295, 367, 386, 387, 390, 394-397, 400, 402, 404-406, 412, 414, 416-418, 420, 422, 423.
- Anniversary Directory graduates of Saint Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture named after Ilya Repin, Russian Academy of Arts. 1915 - 2005. - Saint Petersburg: Pervotsvet Publishing House, 2007. p.50.
On a Beach.
Moorage in Gurzuf.
- Russian Fine & Decorative Art. - Dallas, Texas: Heritage Auction Galleries, November 14, 2008. - p. 198.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. - Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp. 9, 27, 233, 295, 367, 386, 387, 390, 394-397, 400, 402, 404-406, 412, 414, 416-418, 420, 422, 423. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.|Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.]].|
- Lev Orekhov on the "Unknown Socialist Realism. Quests and Discoveries".
- Sergei V. Ivanov. The Leningrad School of painting. Historical outline.
- Chronology of the Leningrad School of painting.