Our Lady of Kazan Orthodox Cathedral in Marinka
War in Donbass
Starting in mid-April 2014 pro-Russian rebels captured several towns in Donetsk Oblast; including Marinka. On August 5, 2014, Ukrainian forces recaptured control of Marinka from pro-Russian militants. Ukrainian forces involved in the recapture included the Azov Battalion, whose flag flew in the city in early August. The city is shelled on a regular basis, with Ukrainian troops returning fire. Pro-Russian rebels accused Ukrainian troops of using their positions in Marinka to shell (rebel controlled) Donetsk - a claim denied by the Ukrainian military.
Battle of Marinka
On 3 June 2015, fresh violence returned to the area as pro-Russian rebels launched an offensive on the city involving 1,000 fighters, tanks and heavy artillery. The rebels stated they only engaged in defence measures after an assault by the Ukrainian army. According to the Daily Beast, video footage showed outgoing artillery fire originating in residential areas in Donetsk held by the rebels, directed at Ukrainian government positions, a violation of both the Minsk II agreement and Geneva Conventions. The attacking rebel forces included a number of Russian soldiers sent by the Kremlin. By then the town had already been devastated by months of heavy fighting.
According to the BBC, the 3 June 2015 fighting was the heaviest of the War in Donbass since the so called Minsk II ceasefire was signed on 11 February 2015. In the early evening of 3 June 2015, Donetsk People's Republic's Defence Minister Vladimir Kononov and the Ukrainian military confirmed to the OSCE that Marinka was under Ukrainian control. According to OSCE figures, 28 people, including 9 civilians, were killed in Marinka on 3 June 2015.
Afghan War memorial in city park
- Encyclopedia of Ukraine, Google Books
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 21 January 2015.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "putin-accidentally-helping-unite-eastern-and-western-ukraine", newrepublic.com.
- "airstrike-kills-nine-as-apartment-block-demolished-in-ukraine", irishtimes.com.
- "Ukraine fighting reaches rebel-held Donetsk", AP, August 5, 2014.
- Kramer, Andrew E., "Ukraine Strategy Bets On Restraint by Russia", New York Times, August 9, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Civilians Stuck in the Middle of Donbass Horror, Moscow Times (29 July 2015)
- Ukraine crisis: Violence flares up near Donetsk, BBC News (3 June 2015)
- Kremlin-separatist forces try to take Maryinka as fighting breaks out along front line, Kyiv Post (3 June 2015)
- Ukraine at risk of return to full war after major battle in Donetsk, The Guardian (3 June 2015)
- "Ukraine ceasefire deal agreed at Belarus talks". The Guardian. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Spot report by the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM), 3 June 2015: Fighting around Marinka, OSCE (4 June 2015)
- 28 killed in recent Maryinka battle – UN, Ukraine Today (5 June 2015)
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.