Norman N. Li
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'strict' not found.
|Norman N. Li|
December 28, 1932 |
|Institutions||NL Chemical Technology, Inc.|
|Alma mater||National Taiwan University (BEng)
Wayne State University (MEng)
Stevens Institute of Technology (PhD)
|Known for||Membrane technology
|Notable awards||Perkin Medal (2000)|
Norman N. Li (黎念之), born December 28, 1932 in Shanghai, China, is a Chinese American engineer and scientist famous for his inventions and development of liquid membrane technologies.
Li graduated from the National Taiwan University in 1954. Li went to continue his study in the United States, received M.Eng in Chemical Engineering from the Wayne State University in 1957 and PhD from Stevens Institute of Technology in 1963. Dr. Li was also awarded an honorary doctorate from the New Jersey Institute of Technology
Li worked for Parke-Davis, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In 1960, Li was a Lecturer at NJIT. In 1963, Li was a Senior Scientist of ExxonMobil. Li was the Director of the separation technology research institute of UOP, and the director of AlliedSignal science & technology dicvision. Li was the President of the NL Chemical Technology, Inc. based in Illinois.
Awards and honors
Li has been given numerous awards and prizes or his innovation and leadership in membrane and separation technologies, including,
- 1988, the Alpha Chi Sigma Award for Chemical Engineering Research,
- 1988, the ACS Award of Separation Science and Technology,
- the Clarence G. Gerhold Award from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE),
- 1995, the Ernest W. Thiel Award,
- 2000, the AIC Chemical Engineering Practice Award,
- 2000, the Perkin Medal from the Society of Chemical Industry,
- 2001, the Lifetime Achievement Award from the World Congress of Chemical Engineering,
- 2001, the Fujimura Award for Lifetime Achievement in International Technology Cooperation and Development
- 2006, the Founders Award from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE).
- 2013, the Stevens Honor Award from Stevens Institute of Technology 
In May 2008, Li was awarded an honorary doctorate by New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). The Dr. Norman N. Li Distinguished Lecture in Chemical Engineering at the Wayne State University College of Engineering is named after him.
Li was elected to the United States National Academy of Engineering in 1990. Li is also an Academician of the Academia Sinica. Li was elected Foreign Member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1998.
- ↑ http://commencement.njit.edu/2008/docs/PROGRAM_08.pdf 'NJIT : NJIT Commencement Ceremony 2008'
- ↑ Academician Norman N. Li Awarded Honorary Doctorate by NJIT
- ↑ 
- ↑ United States National Academy of Engineering Membership Dictionary: Dr. Norman N. Li