Open Network Computing Remote Procedure Call
|Internet protocol suite|
Open Network Computing (ONC) Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a widely deployed remote procedure call system. ONC was originally developed by Sun Microsystems in the 1980s as part of their Network File System project, and is sometimes referred to as Sun RPC.
ONC is based on calling conventions used in Unix and the C programming language. It serializes data using the External Data Representation (XDR), which has also found some use to encode and decode data in files that are to be accessed on more than one platform. ONC then delivers the XDR payload using either UDP or TCP. Access to RPC services on a machine are provided via a port mapper that listens for queries on a well-known port (number 111) over UDP and TCP.
Implementations of ONC RPC exist in most Unix-like systems. Microsoft supplies an implementation for Windows in their Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX product; in addition, a number of third-party implementation of ONC RPC for Windows exist, including versions for C/C++, Java, and .NET (see external links).
ONC is considered "lean and mean", but has limited appeal as a generalized RPC system for WANs or heterogeneous environments. Systems such as DCE, CORBA and SOAP are generally used in this wider role.
- XDR - The grammar defined in RFC 1831 is a small extension of the XDR grammar defined in RFC 4506
- Birrell, A. D.; Nelson, B. J. (1984). "Implementing remote procedure calls". ACM Transactions on Computer Systems. 2: 39. doi:10.1145/2080.357392.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Phipps, Simon (2009-02-12). "Old Code and Old Licenses". Sun Microsystems. Archived from the original on 2010-02-25. Retrieved 2012-12-21.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The long, sordid tale of Sun RPC, abbreviated somewhat, to protect the guilty and the irresponsible". Tom Callaway, Red Hat. Retrieved 2010-08-26.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- RFC 1057 - Specifies version 1 of ONC RPC
- RFC 5531 - Specifies version 2 of ONC RPC
- Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) — A tutorial on ONC RPC by Dr Dave Marshall of Cardiff University
- Introduction to RPC Programming — A developer's introduction to RPC and XDR, from SGI IRIX documentation.
- Sun ONC Developer's guide
- Netbula's PowerRPC for Windows (ONC RPC for Windows with extended IDL)
- Netbula's JRPC (ONC RPC for Java)(supports J2SE, J2ME and Android
- ONC/RPC Implementation of the University of Aachen (Germany)
- Remote Tea (LGPL Java Implementation)
- Remote Tea .Net (LGPL C# Implementation)
- Distinct Corporation's ONC RPC for Windows
- Linux Journal article on ONC RPC
- Java NIO based ONC RPC library