P. K. Balakrishnan
|P. K. Balakrishnan|
Edavanakkad, Ernakulam, Kingdom of Cochin
|Died||April 3, 1991
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Novelist, historian, critic, essayist, freedom fighter|
P. K. Balakrishnan (1926–1991) was a Malayalam novelist, critic and historian. His multifaceted interests took him through politics, journalism, public speaking and creative writing. He was a patriot who gave up his studies for the freedom of the country.
- Narayana Guru (1954) - an anthology on the great spiritual leader and social reformer of Kerala.
- Chandu Menon - Oru Padanam (Chandu Menon - a Study) (1957) - on the author of the first Malayalam novel 'Indulekha'
- Kavyakala Kumaranasaniloode (The Art of Poetry through Kumaran Asan) (1970) - on the noted doyen of Malayalam poetry Kumaran Asan
- Ezhuthachante Kala - Chila Vyasa Bharatha Padhanangalum (The Art of Ezhuthachan) (1982) - a work on the father of Malayalam literature
- Sidhiyum Sadhanayum (Gift of Genius and Nurturing) (1965) - a work on the craft of novel writing
- Balakrishnante Lekhanangal (Articles of Balakrishnan)(2004)
- Keraleeyatayum Mattum (The Essence of Kerala etc.) (2004) - a collection of 20 articles published in various periodicals over a time
- Pluto Priyapetta Pluto (Pluto, my dear Pluto) (1963) - the story of his real life dog named after the Walt Disney counterpart
- Ini Njan Urangatte (And now, Let me Sleep) (1973) - A work originating from the great Indian epic Vyasabharatha (Mahabharath).
- Tippu Sultan (1959) an historical biography
- Jaathivyavasthithium Keralacharithravum (The Caste system and History of Kerala) (1983) - a work in kerala history.
- "Veritta Chintakal" (Thoughts Apart) (2011) Commentaries on social and political history of India triggered by contemporary events. Collected from articles written in Malayalam daily 'Madhyamam'