Hensel was born in Groß-Barten near Königsberg, Prussia. He was the son of the landowner and entrepreneur Sebastian Hensel, brother of the mathematician Kurt Hensel, grandson of the composer Fanny Mendelssohn and the painter Wilhelm Hensel. Fanny was the sister of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, daughter of Abraham Mendelssohn Bartholdy, and granddaughter of philosopher Moses Mendelssohn, and entrepreneur Daniel Itzig. Both of Hensel's paternal grandmothers and his mother were from Jewish families that had converted to Christianity.
Hensel became a professor of philosophy at Heidelberg and Erlangen, where he taught until 1928. At Erlangen, Hensel was the supervisor of Hans Reichenbach's PhD dissertation on the theory of probability.
- Über die Beziehung des reinen Ich bei Fichte zur Einheit der Apperception bei Kant [On the relationship between Fichte's pure I and Kant's unity of apperception], 1885 (doctoral thesis under Alois Riehl)
- Ethisches Wissen und ethisches Handeln, 1889
- Hauptprobleme der Ethik, 1903
- Kleine Schriften und Vorträge, 1930
- Available online at archive.org
- Works by Paul Hensel at Project Gutenberg
- Lua error in Module:Internet_Archive at line 573: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Works by Paul Hensel at Hathi Trust
- Works by Paul Hensel at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Probleme/Projekte/Prozesse: Hochzeit im Hause Mendelssohn at www.luise-berlin.de
- AIM25: Thesaurus-assisted Personal Name search at www.aim25.ac.uk
|This biography of a German philosopher is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|