Reaction of Russian intelligentsia to the 2014 annexation of Crimea
Support for Ukraine
First letter of protest
Russian scientists and artists who disagreed with Russian government policy in Crimea, announced their opposition in an open letter:
"Our country has been plunged into a dangerous adventure. Under the slogan "Defend the Russian in Crimea, as well as all Ukrainians from the new illegitimate, fascist government in Ukraine!", an actual annexation of the Crimea has already happened. International law was heavily violated and principles of European security and stability were destroyed. Russia is rapidly slipping into a new Cold War with the West and there are dangerous consequences that cannot be predicted."
"There is unrestrained flow of lies and disinformation in all Russian state media resources, as well as deafening propaganda campaign against anyone who tries to doubt the legitimacy of the authorities' actions or indicate their disastrous consequences for the country and people. All who disagree indiscriminately get called a "fifth column" and "fascists". There are a lot of people who disagree. It is enough to read uncensored media or numerous judgments in social networks to see that political scientists, economists, people who are professionally related to foreign policy, or just people that are endowed with any social intuition are warning that Russia is coming to a real catastrophe — economic, political, humanitarian."
"Do not cave in. Do not succumb to lies"
Another open letter headlined "Do not cave in. Do not succumb to lies" was signed by 180 representatives of different professions, including: Yuri Ryzhov (of the Russian Academy of Science), Andrey Makarevich (musician), Yuri Shevchuk (musician), Andrey Zvyagintsev (film director), Marietta Chudakova (writer, literary historian) and Vadim Zakharov (artist).
"We, the representatives of the Russian intelligentsia, must warn the government about the historical mistake that is happening — the desire of taking under control part of another, recently brotherly Ukraine, by using Russian armed forces."
Sergei Markov, a member of Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation, commented on the results of the congress and called its participants "representatives of a "Russophobic" subculture that do not pose any danger to the country".
On March 19, 2014 a group of scientists appealed to the Minister of Communications Nikolai Nikiforov, director of Roskomnadzor Alexander Zharov and CEO of the All-Russia State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company Oleg Dobrodeev with a proposition to check for signs of extremism and incitement to international and intergovernmental hostility in the "Vesti nedeli" (News of the Week) newscast of Dmitry Kiselyov for the previous three months:
The document was signed by 19 scientists, academics and RAS members including: Yuri Apresyan, Anatoly Vershik, Vladimir Zakharov, Alexander Moldovan, Valery Rubakov, Olga Solomina, Alexei Starobinsky, Alexander Chaplyk, and others.
Collection of signatures in support of the document was organized on the website of the inter-regional Society of Scientists (ONR), but was closed soon after with the explanation "by request of ONR members".
March 12, 2014 KinoSoyuz (an organization of the Russian film industry) published an open letter of support for their Ukrainian colleagues on its website. By 13 March 2014 the letter had been co-signed by more than 200 people.
- On March 1, 2014 the newspaper "Vedomosti" published an article entitled "It has already happened", in which historian Andrey Zubov, drew parallels with the Nazi occupation of Austria in 1938.
- On March 12, 2014 in an interview on "Dozhd" TV, director of "Estrada Theater" Gennady Khazanov and the president of the Documentary Film Festival Vitaly Mansky, shared their thoughts about support or disagreement with Russian government policy.
- March 24, 2014 musician Andrey Makarevich and director Vladimir Bortko, expressed opposing views on the Crimean crisis, when answering the "Reporter" online newspaper journalists' questions.
- Director Alexander Sokurov made another letter of support for Ukraine.
Support for Russian policy
After an open letter of support for Russian policy in Crimea was published, on March 11, 2014 a response from Ukraine appeared.
- A Denis Matsuyev concert In Kiev was canceled.
- Musician Yuri Bashmet was deprived of title of Honorary Professor at the Lviv Conservatory.
Opposition to Russian policy
- Professor and historian Andrey Zubov was fired from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations for an article in which he criticized Russian policy in Ukraine.
- On March 15, 2014 Andrey Makarevich took part in the Moscow "March of Peace". There was subsequently a proposal to strip Makarevich of his Order "For Merit to the Fatherland" for participation in the march. "Moskovsky Komsomolets" devoted several articles to the topic.
- In May, 2014 criminal proceedings were initiated against Russian poet Alexander Byvshev for writing poems that support Ukraine.
- Russian president Vladimir Putin called citizens who openly express opposition to government policy, a "fifth column" and "treasonous".
- A bill was introduced in the State Duma promising heavier penalties for violation of order during public events or promoting such events. Human rights activist Lev Ponomaryov suggested that the bill was a response to the Moscow "March of Peace".
- Обращение инициативной группы по проведению Конгресса интеллигенции «Против войны, против самоизоляции России, против реставрации тоталитаризма» и письмо деятелей культуры в поддержку позиции Владимира Путина по Украине и Крыму (Russian). Novaya Gazeta. 13.03.2014
- Не прогибаться. Не поддаваться лжи (Russian). Echo of Moscow. 14.03.2014
- В Москве прошло заседание антивоенного Конгресса интеллигенции (Russian). Grani.ru. 19.03.2014
- Антивоенный конгресс интеллигенции (video). (Russian). Grani.ru. 19.03.2014
- Оппозиционная интеллигенция провела антивоенный конгресс (Russian). RBC TV. 20.03.2014
- Ученые выступили против Киселева (Russian). colta.ru. 18.04.2014
- Российские ученые требуют проверить на экстремизм ведущего «Вести Недели» Дмитрия Киселева (Russian). Pskovskaya Lenta Novostey. 19.03.2014
- Сбор подписей: "О недопустимых высказываниях ведущего "Вестей недели" Д.Киселева" закрыт (Russian). Interregional Society of scientists. 18.03.2014
- Российские ученые просят проверить все программы Дмитрия Киселева на экстремизм (Russian). rusnewsinfo.ru. 19.03.2014
- Мы с вами! (Russian). KinoSoyuz. 08.03.2014
- Андрей Зубов: Это уже было (Russian). Vedomosti. 01.03.2014
- Как крымский вопрос расколол российское общество? Мнение подписавшего письмо за украинскую политику Путина и против неё (Russian). Dozhd. 12.03.2014
- Война и мир. Андрей Макаревич — против, Владимир Бортко — за (Russian). Vesti (Ukraine) №10(28). 21—27.03.2014
- Служенье муз (Russian). Grani.ru. 11.03.2014
- Гастрольная война (Russian). Radio Liberty. 09.05.2014
- У Києві скасували концерт Мацуєва (Ukrainian). Espreso TV. 13.03.2014
- Львів'яни забрали в Башмета почесне звання (Ukrainian). Espreso TV. 13.03.2014
- Из МГИМО уволен профессор Андрей Зубов (Russian). BBC Russian Service. 24.03.2014
- Відомі діячі культури Росії просять Путіна припинити цькування Макаревича (Ukrainian). iPress. 28.03.2014
- Если Андрея Макаревича лишат звания народного артиста — это будет к лучшему (Russian). Moskovskij Komsomolets. 28.03.2014
- Страсти по Макаревичу: решил стать собой и получил по полной (Russian). Moskovskij Komsomolets. 31.03.2014
- Поэта Бывшева привлекли по 282-й статье за стихи в поддержку Украины (Russian: ). Грани.ру. 14.05.2014
- 1984 in 2014. The Economist. 29.05.2014
- В Госдуме хотят сажать в тюрьму за нарушения на митингах (Russian). BBC Russian Service. 01.04.2014