|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
Severodonetsk City Municipality
|• Total||50 km2 (20 sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||+380 6452(645)|
Sievierodonetsk (Ukrainian: Сєвєродонецьк; Russian: Северодонецк, Severodonetsk) is a city in the Luhansk Oblast (province) of eastern Ukraine. Sievierodonetsk has the status of a city of oblast significance, It is located nearby the Seversky Donets River, approximately 110 km (68 mi) to the north north west from the Oblast capital, Luhansk. Severodonetsk is the acting administrative centre of Luhansk Oblast due to Luhansk being located in Luhansk People's Republic, not under control of the Ukrainian authoroties, similarly to Mariupol acting as the administrative center of Donetsk Oblast during the War in Donbass. Population: 109,466 (2013 est.).
During the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine the town was captured late May 2014 by pro-Russian separatists. No Ukrainian presidential election in 2014 was held in the city as militants did not let the voting places to open and much of the Election commission property was absolutely stolen or destroyed. On 10 July 2014 the separatists claimed the town was shelled by the Ukrainian army. Separatists responded with counter-battery artillery fire. On 22 July 2014, Ukrainian forces managed to liberate the city from the pro-Russian separatists. The next days heavy fighting continued around the city; on 23 July 2014 the National Guard of Ukraine and the Ukrainian Army released a statement that said they were "continuing the cleansing of Severodonetsk".
- 1939 – 5,000 inhabitants
- 1959 – 33,200 inhabitants
- 1970 – 90,000 inhabitants
- 1975 – 107,000 inhabitants
- 1991 - 131,000 inhabitants
- 2009 – 121,000 inhabitants
- CAS "Azot" – one of the largest chemical plants in Europe.
- «Khimpostavschik» private enterprise.
- «Himexelen, Ltd.»
Alleys in the city centre
Syevyerodonetsk at night.jpg
Sievierodonetsk at night
ZiU-9 in Sievierodonetsk.jpg
ZiU-9 trolleybus in Sievierodonetsk
- "The President instructed the Head of the Donetsk Regional State Administration to relocate temporarily the administration office to Mariupol". President of Ukraine, official website.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "In Severodonetsk, Petro Poroshenko presented Luhansk RSA Head Hennadiy Moskal". President of Ukraine, official website.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 21 January 2015.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sievierodonetsk.|
|This article about a location in Luhansk Oblast is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|