Giegold at a Green party convention in March 2009.
|Member of the European Parliament|
17 November 1969 |
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
|Political party|| German:
Alliance '90/The Greens
The Greens–European Free Alliance
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
Sven Giegold (born 17 November 1969) is a German politician for the Alliance 90/The Greens party and one of the founding members of Attac Germany. He became a member of the Greens only in 2008, and was elected to the European Parliament in the 2009 elections.
Early life and education
Born in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, Giegold grew up in Hanover, Lower Saxony. He enrolled at the University of Lüneburg in 1991 majoring in political science and economics, and later attended the University of Bremen. He earned his Master's degree from the University of Birmingham in 1996. He returned to the University of Bremen to pursue his Ph.D. under supervision of Jörg Huffschmid, but later abandoned his studies in favor of his political career.
Giegold was elected to the European Parliament in the 2009 elections. He has since been serving on the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs. In this capacity, he was responsible for draft legislation to set up the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) in 2010. In 2013, in their capacity as the parliament’s lead negotiators, Giegold and fellow MEP Marianne Thyssen reached an inter-institutional compromise agreement on creating the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM) with the member states. Since 2014, he has been the Greens–European Free Alliance group co-ordinator for the committee.
Between 2009 and 2011, Giegold was a member of the Special Committee on the Financial, Economic and Social Crisis. Since 2015, he has also been a member of the Special Committee on Tax Rulings and Other Measures Similar in Nature or Effect.
In addition, Giegold is a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals.
- Development and Peace Foundation (SEF), Member of the Board of Trustees
- Forum Ökologisch-Soziale Marktwirtschaft (FÖS), Member of the Advisory Board
- Association for the Taxation of Financial Transactions and for Citizens' Action (ATTAC), Member
- FIAN Germany, Member
- Institut Solidarische Moderne, Member
- Tax Justice Network, Member
- ver.di, Member
- "Sven Giegold: Grün hinter den Ohren", Handelsblatt, 1 June 2009<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- TAZ: Sven Giegold Bio
- Jim Brunsden (February 17, 2010), Council at odds with MEPs over reforms European Voice.
- Dave Keating (September 10, 2013), MEPs reach banking supervision deal with ECB European Voice.
- Political groups select committee co-ordinators European Voice, July 8, 2014.
- Members European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).]].|