- For the airfield see: RAF Mount Farm
|File:Terhune Orchards logo.png|
|Location||330 Cold Soil Road, Princeton, New Jersey, USA|
|Coordinates||40.331434 N, 74.725325 W|
|First vines planted||2003|
|Opened to the public||2010|
|Key people||Gary & Pam Mount,
Tannwen Mount (owners)
|Cases/yr||1,100 (estimated, 2013)|
|Other products||Bread, cider, doughnuts, flowers, fruits, herbs, pies, vegetables|
|Other attractions||Apple picking, wagon rides, picnicking permitted|
|Distribution||On-site, NJ farmers' markets, home shipment|
|Tasting||Tastings Friday and Sunday|
Terhune Orchards is a winery in Lawrence Township (mailing address is Princeton) in Mercer County, New Jersey. A family produce farm since 1975, the vineyard was first planted in 2003, and opened to the public in 2010. Terhune has 5 acres of grapes under cultivation, and produces an estimated 1,100 cases of wine per year. The winery is named for the family that formerly owned the farm.
Wines and other products
Terhune produces wine from Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chambourcin, Chardonnay, Niagara, Orange Muscat, Traminette, and Vidal blanc grapes. Terhune also makes fruit wines from apples, blueberries, and peaches. Additionally, the farm produces and sells bread, cider, doughnuts, flowers, fruits, herbs, pies, and vegetables. It is the only winery in New Jersey that produces wine from Orange Muscat, which is a white vinifera grape of unknown origin that is often used to make dessert wines. Terhune is not located in one of New Jersey's three viticultural areas.
Features, licensing, and associations
During the autumn harvest season, the winery offers apple picking and wagon rides. Terhune has a plenary winery license from the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, which allows it to produce an unrestricted amount of wine, operate up to 15 off-premises sales rooms, and ship up to 12 cases per year to consumers in-state or out-of-state. The winery is a member of the Garden State Wine Growers Association and its subsidiary, Vintage North Jersey.
- Alcohol laws of New Jersey
- American wine
- Judgment of Princeton
- List of wineries, breweries, and distilleries in New Jersey
- New Jersey Farm Winery Act
- New Jersey Wine Industry Advisory Council
- New Jersey wine
- Yeske, Susan Sprague. "Terhune Orchards adds wine to its roster of local offerings" in The Times of Trenton (22 October 2010). Retrieved 29 March 2013. Estimate of 1,100 cases per year is based on viticultural standard of 200-250 cases per acre per year, and no evidence that winery purchases grapes from other sources.
- Dunphy, D.W. "New Jersey Agriculture, Wines Intersect At Terhune Orchards" in Barnegat-Manahawkin Patch (7 January 2012). Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Westrich, Sal. New Jersey Wine: A Remarkable History. (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2012). ISBN 9781609491833.
- Genovese, Peter. "The upper crust: The Munchmobile takes a flaky trip to find the best pie" in The Star-Ledger (21 July 2006). Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- Jackson, Bart. Garden State Wineries Guide. (South San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2011). ISBN 9781934259573.
- Yarvin, Brian. Farms And Foods Of The Garden State: A New Jersey Cookbook. (New York, NY: Hippocrene, 2005). ISBN 9780781810838. Until 1975, the Terhune family owned the farm where the winery is located.
- Terhune Orchards & Winery. "Terhune Orchards & Winery - Our Wine Selection" (commercial website). Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- La Gorce, Tammy. "It’s No Tomato, but a Stalk Gets Some Respect" in The New York Times (4 May 2012). Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Terhune Orchards. "Terhune Orchards Farm Market" (commercial website). Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Wine: Orange Muscat " in Gastronomy 101 (blog) (21 September 2006). Retrieved 28 August 2013. A review of the wines made by New Jersey's 46 wineries found no other establishment using Orange Muscat grapes.
- Fiore, Heather. "Apple picking begins at Terhune Orchards this weekend" in The Central Jersey Sun (27 August 2013). Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "37th annual Apple Day weekend kicks off Sept. 14-15 at Terhune Orchards in Lawrenceville" in The Hunterdon County Democrat (10 August 2013). Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "New Jersey ABC list of wineries, breweries, and distilleries" (5 February 2013). Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- N.J.S.A. 33:1-10.
- Garden State Wine Growers Association. "GSWGA Wineries." Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Vintage North Jersey. "Participating Wineries on the Vintage North Jersey Wine Trail." Retrieved 2 July 2013.
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.