|Born||August 4, 1949|
Natural language processing
University of Pennsylvania
University of Illinois
|Thesis||The Semantic Interpretation of Compound Nominals (1980)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Waltz|
|Doctoral students||Harry Chen
M. Joel Sachs
Robert Holder 
Timothy Wilking Finin (born 1949 in Walworth, Wisconsin) is a Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). His research has focused on the applications of Artificial intelligence to problems in information systems and has included contributions to natural language processing, expert systems, the theory and applications of multiagent systems, the semantic web, and mobile computing.
Prior to joining the UMBC, he held positions at the Unisys Paoli Research Center, the University of Pennsylvania, and the MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. He is the author of more than 350 refereed publications and has received research grants and contracts from a variety of sources.
He has been an organizer of several major conferences, including the IEEE Conference on Artificial Intelligence for Applications, ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, ACM Autonomous Agents conference, ACM Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing, International Semantic Web Conference and IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics. He is an editor in chief of the Journal of Web Semantics, co-editor of the Viewpoints section of Communications of the ACM and on the editorial board of several other journals. Finin is a former AAAI councilor and board member of the Computing Research Association.
In 2009 the IEEE Computer Society awarded him a Technical Achievement "for pioneering contributions to distributed intelligent systems". In 2013 he was named a fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence for "significant contributions to the theory and practice of knowledge sharing in multiagent systems and on the Web, and for sustained service to the AI community".
- Java, Akshay; Song, Xiaodon; Finin, Tim; Tseng, Belle (2007). "Why we twitter". Proceedings of the 9th WebKDD and 1st SNA-KDD 2007 workshop on Web mining and social network analysis - WebKDD/SNA-KDD '07 (PDF). p. 56. doi:10.1145/1348549.1348556. ISBN 9781595938480.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Tim Finin's publications indexed by Google Scholar, a service provided by Google
- Tim Finin at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Finin, T.; Fritzson, R.; McKay, D.; McEntire, R. (1994). "KQML as an agent communication language". Proceedings of the third international conference on Information and knowledge management - CIKM '94. p. 456. doi:10.1145/191246.191322. ISBN 0897916743.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Ding, L.; Finin, T.; Joshi, A.; Pan, R.; Cost, R. S.; Peng, Y.; Reddivari, P.; Doshi, V.; Sachs, J. (2004). "Swoogle". Proceedings of the Thirteenth ACM conference on Information and knowledge management - CIKM '04. p. 652. doi:10.1145/1031171.1031289. ISBN 1581138741.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Tim Finin's publications indexed by the DBLP Bibliography Server at the University of Trier
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- 2009 Technical Achievement Award, retrieved 2010-04-03.