Ukrayinska Pravda of June 11, 2010
|Slogan||Founded by Georgiy Gongadze in the year 2000|
Type of site
|Created by||Georgiy Gongadze|
|Editor||Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk (since 2014)|
|Launched||April 16, 2000|
|843 (April 2014[update])|
|Current status||News-in media|
Ukrayinska Pravda (Ukrainian: Українська правда, literally Ukrainian Truth) is a popular Ukrainian Internet newspaper, founded by Georgiy R. Gongadze in April, 2000 (the day of the Ukrainian constitutional referendum). Published mainly in Ukrainian with selected articles published in or translated to Russian and English, the newspaper is tailored towards a general readership with some particular emphasis placed on the hot issues of the politics of Ukraine. The Ukrainian government has at times reportedly exerted pressure on the publication to restrict access to freedom of information.
Along with Hromadske TV and Center UA (Center for United Action), Ukrayinska Pravda is part of the MediaHub Kyiv.
Initiatives and achievements
This section requires expansion. (July 2012)
The newspaper was often first to investigate and publish the material on corruption or unethical conduct of or related to Ukrainian politicians from all political camps. In December 2002 Ukrayinska Pravda was refused a press accreditation by the (then) General Prosecutor of Ukraine Svyatoslav Piskun (an offence against the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
Staff and contributors of the Ukrayinska Pravda have pioneered many legal and research techniques aimed at advancing freedom of information in Ukraine, particularly those concerning the public spending, public procurement and offshore tax evasion. Staff journalists routinely participate in non-partisan public actions promoting democracy and press freedom in the country.
Ukrayinska Pravdas online forum is one of the most diverse and widely attended internet political discussion fora in Ukraine.
Off-spring websites of the Ukrayinska Pravda project
Ukrayinska Pravda is also the umbrella site for the following later-created sister websites:
- Economichna Pravda (literally "economic truth") – economy and business news and publications
- Табло ID – celebrity illustrated news site, paying significant attention to the public life of Ukrainian politicians and statesmen
- Champion.com.ua – sports news site
- Ukrayinska Pravda.Kyiv – local news and articles on Kiev city
- Ukrayinska Pravda.Zhyttia (literally "Life") – social ezine
- Istorychna Pravda – non-news history magazine
- blog-post sections:
- 2000-2000 Georgiy Gongadze, Olena Prytula (deputy)
- 2000-2014 Olena Prytula, Serhiy Leshchenko (deputy)
- 2014-present Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk
- Georgiy Gongadze / Myroslava Gongadze
- Cassette Scandal / Mykola Mel'nychenko
- Tetiana Chornovol
- Politics of Ukraine
- Pravda (disambiguation)
- Internet in Ukraine
- Beheaded: The Killing of a Journalist by J.V. Koshiw, Artemia Press, 2002, ISBN 978-0-9543764-0-6 (page 63)
- "Pravda.com.ua Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- JOURNALISTS BOYCOTT PROSECUTOR GENERAL'S OFFICE, Ukrayinska Pravda (December 5, 2002)
- Правила використання матеріалів сайтів Інтернет-холдингу "Українська правда", Часті запитання(Ukrainian)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).]].|