Vere Claiborne Chappell
Vere Claiborne Chappell (born 22 March 1930 in Rochester, NY) is an American philosopher and scholar specializing in early modern philosophy, history of philosophy, philosophy of mind and action, and metaphysics.
In 2008 a collection of essays was published in honor of Vere Chappell's work.
- Yale University (1947–53) - BA (1951); MA (1953)
- Universität Heidelberg (1953–54)
- Yale University (1954–57) - PhD (1958)
- Yale University - Assistant in Instruction (1954–55); Instructor (1955–57)
- University of Chicago - Instructor (1957–61); Assistant Professor (1961–63); Associate Professor (1963–68); Professor (1968–70)
- North Central College - Visiting Professor (Summer 1965)
- Indiana University - Visiting Professor (1967)
- University of Illinois, Chicago - Visiting Professor (1967)
- University of Illinois, Urbana - Visiting Professor (1968)
- University of Notre Dame - Visiting Professor (1969)
- University of Southern California - Visiting Professor (1969)
- University of Massachusetts Amherst - Professor (1970–2006); Emeritus (2006–)
- Smith College - Visiting Professor (1973; 1974)
- Mount Holyoke College - Visiting Professor (1982; 1983; 1985; 1988; 1990; 1991; 1992)
- Università per Stranieri di Siena - Exchange Professor (1993)
- Amherst College - Visiting Professor (1996)
- The Philosophy of Mind, edited with Introduction (Prentice-Hall, 1962); new ed. (Dover, 1981).
- The Philosophy of David Hume, edited with Introduction (Modern Library, 1963).
- Ordinary Language, edited with Introduction (Prentice-Hall, 1964); new ed. (Dover, 1981).
- Hume, edited with Introduction (Anchor Books, 1966).
- Twenty-five Years of Descartes Scholarship, 1960-1984: A Bibliography, with Willis Doney (Garland, 1987).
- Essays on Early Modern Philosophers: From Descartes and Hobbes to Newton and Leibniz, edited with Introductions. 12 Vols. (Garland, 1992).
- The Cambridge Companion to Locke, edited with Introduction (Cambridge University Press, 1994).
- Descartes's Meditations, edited with Introduction (Rowman & Littlefield, 1997).
- Locke, edited with Introduction (Oxford University Press, 1998).
- Hobbes and Bramhall on Liberty and Necessity, edited with Introduction (Cambridge University Press, 1999).
- Hoffman, P., Owen, G., and Yaffe, G. Contemporary Perspectives on Early Modern Philosophy. Broadview Press, 2008. ISBN 1-55111-662-6
- UMass Philosophy - Faculty, Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Paul Hoffman, David Owen, and Gideon Yaffe (Editors), Contemporary perspectives on early modern philosophy: essays in honor of Vere Chappell. Broadview Press, 2008; ISBN 1-55111-662-6