|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Viktor Antonovich Sadovnichiy (Russian: Виктор Антонович Садовничий; born 3 April 1939) is a Russian mathematician, winner of the 1989 USSR State Prize. Since 1992 he has been the rector of Moscow State University.
Sadovnichiy was born in the village Krasnopavlovka in Kharkiv Oblast, now in Ukraine. He graduated from the Department of Mechanics and Mathematics of Moscow State University and defended his doctoral thesis in 1974. In 1975 he became Professor, since 1982 until the present day he is the head of the Mathematical Analysis chair of the department. He held different offices in the administration of the University until he was elected the rector in 1992. In 1996, 2001 and 2005 Sadovnichiy was reelected without any other candidates.
On numerous occasions Viktor Sadovnichiy was accused of being one of the organizers of the infamous antisemitic admission policies of the Department of Mechanics and Mathematics during the 1970s and the 1980s .
Sadovnichiy has been a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences since 1994, Doctor Emeritus of many universities throughout the world, as well as the author of some 150 works. In 1989 he was awarded with the USSR State Prize. He is also currently a Vice-President of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 2008, Sadovnichiy received an honorary doctorate from the University of Belgrade.
Successful forecast of the second (2011) wave of the world financial economic crisis
In his article “On the Possibilities to Forecast the Current Crisis and its Second Wave” (with Askar Akaev and Andrey Korotayev) in the Russian academic journal “Ekonomicheskaya politika” (December 2010. Issue 6. Pages 39–46 ) he published «a forecast of the second wave of the crisis, which suggests that it may start in July — August, 2011».
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland;
- 2nd class (25 January 2005) - for outstanding contribution to the development of education and many years of scientific and teaching activities
- 3rd class (2 April 1999) - for services to science, the talent and years of diligent work
- 4th class (31 March 2009) - for the great achievements in science, education and training of qualified specialists
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour, twice
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 850th Anniversary of Moscow"
- Medal "For Valiant Labour. To commemorate the 100th anniversary of VI Lenin"
- Order of Francisc Skorina (Belarus)
- Order "Dostyk" (Kazakhstan, 1998)
- Order "Danaker" (Kyrgyzstan, 2003) - for the great achievements in science and education, integration and convergence of higher education in Russia and Kyrgyzstan
- Order of Merit (Ukraine);
- 1st class (26 March 2009) - for his outstanding personal contribution to strengthening Russian-Ukrainian cooperation in education and science, and many years of fruitful scientific and social activity
- 2nd class (6 December 2002) - for personal contribution into development of Ukrainian-Russian cooperation, active participation in providing for the Year of Ukraine in the Russian Federation
- 3rd class (30 March 1999) - a significant personal contribution to the development of economic and scientific-technical cooperation between Ukraine and the Russian Federation
- Commander of the Legion of Honour (France)
- Order of the Rising Sun, 2nd class (Japan, 2008) - for his contribution to scientific and technical cooperation and deepening understanding between the two countries
- Medal of Honour (South Ossetia, 25 March 2009) - for long and fruitful scientific and teaching activities, considerable personal contribution to the preparation of highly qualified specialists for the Republic of South Ossetia
- Order of St. Sergius, 1st class (Russian Orthodox Church)
- Order of Holy Prince Daniel of Moscow, 2nd class (Russian Orthodox Church)
- USSR State Prize (1989)
- State Prize of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology (2002)
- State Prize of Kazakhstan
- Award named after MV Lomonosov Moscow State University (1973)
- Honorary member of the Society of Philosophy and economic theory meeting
- Honorary citizen of Moscow (19 February 2008)
- Order of the Republic (Transnistria, 9 October 2000) - for the activity shown by the establishment of offices in sociology and political science in the Transnistrian State University named after Taras Shevchenko, the training of highly qualified specialists for Transnistrian Moldovan Republic and in connection with the 10th anniversary of its formation
- Order "For merits", 1st class (Transnistria, 25 March 2009) - for his personal contribution to strengthening and developing friendship and cooperation between Russia and Transnistrian Moldovan Republic, outstanding achievements in the establishment and development of science and education to Transnistrian Moldovan Republic and connection with the 70th anniversary of the birth
- Order of Merit (Transnistria, 26 March 2004) - for his personal contribution to the establishment and development of science and education in the Transnistrian Moldovan Republic and in connection with the 65th anniversary of the birth
- Presidential Award of peace and spiritual harmony (Kazakhstan, 1998)
- Honorary Member of Russian Academy of Arts
- The Mathematical Intelligencer, 16, No. 4, 6 (1994)
- VICE PRESIDENTS OF THE RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES. Russian Academy of Sciences. Accessed January 23, 2010
- Askar Akaev, Viktor Sadovnichiy, and Andrey Korotayev. On the Possibilities to Forecast the Current Crisis and its Second Wave. “Ekonomicheskaya politika”. December 2010. Issue 6. Pages 39-46.; see also Askar Akaev, Viktor Sadovnichiy, and Andrey Korotayev. Huge rise in gold and oil prices as a precursor of a global financial and economic crisis. Doklady Mathematics. 2011. Volume 83, Number 2, 243-246; * On the dynamics of the world demographic transition and financial-economic crises forecasts // The European Physical Journal 205, 355-373 (2012) (with Askar Akaev and Andrey Korotayev).
- Member info: Sadovnichy, Viktor Antonovich(Russian), Russian Academy of Sciences. Accessed January 23, 2010
- Viktor Antonovich SADOVNICHY - Rector of Lomonosov Moscow State University. Moscow State University. Accessed January 23, 2010
- Media related to Viktor Sadovnichiy at Wikimedia Commons
Anatoly Logunov (1977–1992)
|Rector of Moscow State University