Education encompasses teaching
, and also something less tangible but more profound: the imparting of knowledge
, good judgement
. Education has as one of its fundamental goals the imparting of culture
from generation to generation (see socialization
). Education is 'to draw out'. This means facilitating realisation of self-potential and latent talents of an individual.
The education of an individual human begins after birth and continues throughout life. Some believe that education begins even before birth, as evidenced by some parents' playing music or reading to the baby in the womb in the hope it will influence the child's development. For some, the struggles and triumphs of daily life provide far more instruction than does formal schooling (thus Mark Twain's admonition to "never let school interfere with your education"). Family members may have a profound educational effect — often more profound than they realize — though family teaching may function very informally; but formality only proves the education outside the family that is also being taught.
are those who help students
or pupils learn
, often in a school
. The objective is typically a course of study, lesson plan
, or a practical skill, including learning
skills. The different ways to teach are often referred to as the teacher's pedagogy
. When deciding what teaching method to use, a teacher will need to consider students' background knowledge, environment, and their learning goals as well as standardized curricula as determined by the relevant authority.
Teaching can also be mixed with entertainment. When the term education is combined with entertainment, the term edutainment is coined. Edutainment also called 'e-learning' are new methods and practices that enabled learning in faster, more efficient and more entertaining ways. The idea is usually to combine games with learning, using software or interactive courses.
In many cultures, teaching is referred to as a profession. Arguments for this include the respect that is felt for teachers in some cultures, the existence of a body of specialised professional knowledge, and codes of ethics. Others dispute this appellation because of significant differences with other professions, especially concerning teaching's relatively low status, low salaries, and its lack of power to control entry to the profession. These aspects all vary greatly by culture.
Latest education Wikinews
- ...that race car journalist and former race car driver Dr. Dick Berggren decided to stop teaching college psychology after he was called into the college president's office because he parked his racecar in the faculty parking lot?
Join the Education WikiProject - Help work on the tasks list
Education WikiProject and Portal
Here are some Education
related tasks you can do
- Focus (top priority) articles: Education, School, Pedagogy, Learning, Lifelong learning, Public school
- Refine/polish to FA status: Critical thinking, John Dewey, Educational animation, Educational psychology
- Cleanup/Copyedit: Constructivism (learning theory), Distance education, Early childhood education, Philosophy of education, Physical education, Neil Postman, E-Learning, More...
- Collaborate: Coordinate with m:Wikiversity (on Meta; also on Wikibooks), Coordinate at the Wikipedia:Education noticeboard based upon Wikipedia:Student assignments, More...
- Expand: Princess Nora bint Abdul Rahman University, Queer Pedagogy, Educational software, Educational technology, Glossary of education-related terms (A-C), Higher education, Instructional theory, Learning theory (education), Nursery school (redirect from "Preschool"), Situated learning, Vocational education, Paulo Freire, Friedrich Fröbel, Donald Schön, Lev Vygotsky, Etienne Wenger, Rhodes University, More...
- Expert attention: Knowledge Cafe, LogoVisual thinking, Whole language, Reading comprehension, Learning to read,
- Merge/Split: Edutainment, Four stages of competence, Intellectual giftedness, Hebbian theory, More...
- NPOV: Applied behavior analysis, Bullying, Charter school, Collegiate Network, Direct instruction, Education reform, Gregg Harris, Medomak Camp, Theory of multiple intelligences, Youth subculture, More...
- Requests: Puerto Rico Schools for the 21st Century,12 California Association of Student Leaders, Test-taking strategies, More...
- Stubs: Educational research, Mature student, Psychology of learning (merge?), More...
- Verify: Add sources to Unreferenced BLPs
- Wikify: E-mentoring, MLearning, Community podcast, Basic writing, Interprofessional education More...
- Other issues: Experiential education
- Note: These articles may overlap with those on Alternative education or other related lists. If you would like to make a change, either do so yourself, or make a suggestion.
The following Wikimedia
sister projects provide more on this subject: