|Launched||May 4, 2007|
|Owned by||(ANO) TV-Novosti|
|Picture format||576i 16:9 (SDTV)
|Broadcast area||Europe, Middle East, North Africa|
RT en español
|Nilesat 103||10892 H / 27500 / 3/4|
|Hot Bird 6||11013 H / 27500 / 3/4|
|Badr 4||11996 H / 27500 / 3/4|
|Yamal 202||3740 L / 38000 / 7/8|
|Live stream||On Air (Free)|
RT Arabic, formerly known as Rusiya Al-Yaum (Arabic: روسيا اليوم, meaning Russia Today, called Россия сегодня Rossiya segodnya (read: Rasíya sivódnya) or Русия аль-Яум (Rusiya Al-Yaum) in Russian ) is a Russian TV news channel broadcasting in Arabic and headquartered in Moscow, Russia. Rusiya Al-Yaum started broadcasting on May 4, 2007.
The channel covers a wide variety of events worldwide from the point of view of the Russian government. It also features interviews, debates and stories about cultural life in Russia and major cities.
The work at “Rusiya Al-Yaum” began in February, 2006 right after the successful start of its English counterpart “RT” in December, 2005. The test of the first Russian channel in Arabic began on May 4, 2007, and soon started broadcasting in full. At the moment people from the Middle East, North Africa and Europe have open access to the satellite signal of the channel. The potential audience of the channel is 350 million people. The channel can also be watched on the Internet all over the world. As of November 2012, it also became available on myTV, an over-the-top technology platform in North and South America.
The channel staff includes experienced Russian and Arab journalists, Russian Arabists and orientalists. Today the multinational team consists of more than 500 employees including natives of Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Sudan, Tunisia, Oman and other countries. The channel has correspondents in Lebanon, Palestine, Iraq, Egypt, Israel, Great Britain and the USA. The channel also stated in 2007 that it plans to get its own exclusive materials from Syria, Jordan and Iraq in the near future.
Previously, when ANO TV-Novosti announced plans to launch Arabic language channel the editor-in-chief's position was taken by Akram Khuzam (Al Jazeera Channel's former Moscow Bureau chief). But later he decided to come back to Syria and to start his new project there. Margarita Simonyan, since 2005 editor-in-chief of Russia Today TV news channel broadcasting in English, has been appointed editor-in-chief of Rusiya Al-Yaum TV channel. In her new post, Margarita Simonyan became responsible for the work of both English language Russia Today and Rusiya Al-Yaum, broadcasting in Arabic. Aidar Aganin has been appointed Deputy Editor-in-chief of Arabic Channel.
- Panorama—a weekly round-table discussion where various topics are covered. Each episode is 26-minutes in length and focuses on a various topics and their aspects from different or sometimes controversial points of view.
- Persona—26-minute prime-time programme on Fridays - repeated on Saturdays and Sundays. The programme features interesting people with unique knowledge, experience and qualifications in the political, cultural and other fields - at their workplace, in the home, or any other place the guest chooses.
- Zoom—weekly edition covering current or unusual events, featuring public personalities or ordinary people in extraordinary situations. This is a dynamic 13-minute story during which events unfold in various locations - from the planet’s hot-spots to science laboratories and theatres.
- Weekly Report—26-minute news and analysis programme that covers main political events over the previous seven days airing on Fridays and repeated on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Press Review—3-minute feature, four times a day, which introduces Arab viewers to interesting items in the Russian and foreign press, with special attention paid to Russian-Arab relations.
- Documentaries.—Rusiya Al-Yaum presents a selection of documentaries designed to open new horizons and bring viewers fascinating facts about Russia.
- International broadcasting
- Al Arabiya
- Al Jazeera
- Al Mayadeen
- BBC Arabic
- France 24
- RT (TV network)
- RT Spanish
- "Началось вещание телеканала "Россия сегодня" на арабском языке". РИА Новости. Retrieved 6 May 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "myTV - Page Not Found". Retrieved 6 May 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "TV Channel "Rusiya Al-Yaum" Takes Part in the Russian-Emirati Business Forum". Retrieved 6 May 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Single editor-in-chief for Russia Today". Retrieved 6 May 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Official website (Arabic)
- YouTube profile (Arabic)
- Russian satellite news channel launches Arabic service at the Wayback Machine (archived April 29, 2009), Forbes, USA, May 2007
- International Arabic-Language News Channels: Who’s Watching?, Asharq Al-Awsat, UK, 2007